Mentoring Skills for Schools
Accredited training leading to a CPD certificate in mentoring skills.
- Accredited training with one-to-one tutor support.
- Study at home in your own time.
- Comprehensive 4 module course designed to give you the knowledge and skills you need to work effectively as a school mentor.
- FREE course book – The Art of Mentoring (Except with the online course.)
- Accredited CPD certificate – recognised by employers and a good addition to your cv.
- There are no set class times, so you can fit study into your life in a way that suits you. You’ll benefit from one-to-one support from an expert personal tutor who you can contact by email or telephone at any time.
The role of learning mentor is increasingly important role in many school settings. This course takes an in-depth look at the skills required to work effectively as a learning mentor in school. It also explores a range of mentoring programmes and interventions, and is suitable for professionals mentoring in a variety of educational contexts.
During this course you will:
- develop the skills to work effectively as a learning mentor
- learn how to plan an effective mentor programme in school
- learn how to nurture your mentees’ skills and abilities
- learn how to motivate children and young people.
- CPD Certificate in Mentoring Skills in Schools
Spread your payments
- Deposit £55.
- Plus 4 x £63.75.*
Pay in full now
- Printed version of course.
- Supplied in sturdy A4 folder.
Complete your course online
- Begin studying within 2 hours.
- Delivered by e-mail.
Pay by Paypal
Pay for your course via Paypal
- Choose online or postal option.
- Quicker checkout.
* When you enrol by instalments you will only be charged the £55 deposit at the time you enrol. We’ll send a Standing Order form that you can complete to pay your remaining instalments. If you prefer to pay the deposit and instalments by standing order, you can download and complete a form here. We’ll send out your first batch of course material as soon as we receive your first payment.
Module 1: What is a Mentor? role of the mentor within school; aspects of the learning mentor role; exploring the mentor-mentee relationship – roles and responsibilities; roles of the mentor: teacher, coach, model, counsellor, adviser; introduction to some key theories; introduction to child development; theories about adolescence; self-esteem; the child in context; children and families; goals for mentoring; introduction to key skills; active listening; self awareness.
Module 2: Meeting Your First Mentee. Planning a mentoring programme to meet school/college needs; confidentiality and its limitations; ethical issues; boundaries; identifying mentee needs; goals and strategies for mentoring; identifying your mentee’s learning style; self awareness and emotional literacy for young people; the first meeting – creating the right conditions, establishing a working relationship with the young client, keeping records; behaviour issues for the learning mentor; managing behaviour; understanding referral; A-B-C approach to behaviour change; working with families.
Module 3: Understanding Children’s Problems. Understanding stress during childhood; stress management for children and young people; psychological issues – defining abnormal behaviour, identifying disorder, referral, ADHD, conduct disorder, understanding autistic spectrum disorders, depression in children; bullying; underachievement; identifying child abuse; promoting protective behaviours; dyslexia; dyspraxia; dyscalculia.
Module 4: Practical Approaches. Creative approaches; play therapy skills for mentoring; books and story-telling; goal-setting for mentees; motivation and inspiration: Understanding motivation, identifying mentees’ motivating factors, motivation in practice; groupwork; life skills: teaching more effective ways of relating to others, developing negotiation and leadership skills.
Borders is one of the UK’s leading distance learning providers. We are registered with Online Learning Council, accredited by the Open and Distance Learning Quality Council and listed in the UK Register of Learning Providers.